It started with Fans, then you asked people to “Like” your company or brand. Your audience and social outreach continued to expand. Just when you were gaining momentum and thought you successfully navigated Facebook’s changes, Timeline torpedoed your page.
Saving your Facebook Page requires more than finding an acceptable cover photo and completing the missing information on your timeline. The marketing value of a Facebook Page is limited by its Reach. Facebook has indicated that posts are only seen by up to 20% of your audience. Follow these steps keep your audience engaged, expand your reach, and prevent your page from becoming obsolete:
- Post unique & interesting content- duh! People are not on Facebook to see your brand so your content needs to keep them entertained or they will:
- Hide your posts from their newsfeed
- “Unlike” your page
- Provide negative feedback that can have long-term online reputation implications and cause you to lose business!
- Be easy to find - encourage followers to add you to a list or visit your page directly. Create and provide a custom URL so people remember and know where to find your page!
- Encourage social sharing - execute #1 properly and your audience will want to share your content with their Friends. Sharing increases your Reach exponentially.
- Give a reason to come back – use contests, special announcements, and exclusive offers to drive traffic back to the page on a routine basis.
- Target posts by time, demographic, and location – track Page Insights to determine the most effective times to post, audience characteristics and behavior.
- Test Facebook Ads, sponsored stories, and promoted posts - these tools are affordable for any size business or brand! Start with a $5 budget and closely monitor feedback to maximize your efficiency.
- Stop using third-party applications – Hootsuite and Buffer are great for organizing and tracking posts, but content delivered through 3rd party apps is less likely to appear in the Newsfeed.
- Grow audiences on other social networks – direct your Facebook audience to follow you on Twitter, LinkedIn, Quora, and other social platforms.
- Promote your page everywhere possible:
- Include the link in your email signature
- Add a “like” box to your blog
- Invite all of your Facebook Friends & encourage Friends to invite others
- Connect with other page admins & cross-promote pages
- Tag your page in posts and urge others to do the same
- Interact with other pages using your brand/company identity
- Include your unique page URL on all company correspondences, newsletters, business cards, or other outgoing materials
Don’t let the value of your Facebook audience go to waste. Start by implementing one or two suggestions, monitor the results, and make any necessary changes to your approach before you introduce another idea. Some opportunities will produce better results than others and certain steps may not be ideal for your business or brand. Treat your Facebook Page as a component of a broader, more comprehensive marketing strategy. There are more important things in life than Facebook!